Peripheral vascular disease, which is also referred to as peripheral arterial disease or PVD, is an under-diagnosed, somewhat ambiguous disorder that affects your circulatory system.
In the vast majority of cases, the peripheral vascular disease involves the narrowing of blood vessels and a noticeable reduction in the amount of blood flow to an individual’s limbs, the combination of which can incite leg pain, cramping, sores that refuse to heal, difficulties with walking, and other more serious problems.
What Are the Risk Factors?
This particular condition is also closely associated with atherosclerosis, which denotes the fatty deposits and plaques that can accumulate in your artery walls and further restrict healthy blood flow. As such, the following habits and traits will increase your risk of developing peripheral vascular disease:
- Smoking tobacco, cigars, and other nicotine-laden products
- Existing Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes
- Poor diet and lack of proper nutrition
- High cholesterol and obesity
- Family history of vascular issues
However, you’re also at greater risk of experiencing complications after the age of 50.
How Prevalent Is This Disease?
To gain a better understanding of PVD, let’s take a closer look at the facts and figures shown below:
- PVD affects almost 15% of the global population.
- Somewhere between four million and eight million Americans have the condition.
- Nearly 200,000 cases of gangrene and lower-limb amputations are directly correlated to diagnoses of PVD.
- Smoking increases the odds of developing PVD by nearly 450%.
- Approximately 45% of PVD sufferers do not exhibit any symptoms until a serious infection or blood flow issue arises.
Thus, if you suspect that you have peripheral vascular disease in Lake Charles, LA or simply wish to book an evaluation, you have to ascertain a reputable vein center in your proximity.
What Is the Best-Rated Clinic in My Area?
If you’re ready to schedule a check-up or minimally invasive treatment for your vascular problems, you should partner with a time-tested team of physicians that can provide a comprehensive solution, irrespective of your age or the extent of your disorder.
Be the first to like.