Need sleep apnea treatment Victoria? Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder. People who have sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during sleep because their airway collapses. Left untreated, sleep apnea can cause impotence, high blood pressure, heart disease, weight gain, and memory problems. Let’s have a look at some of the treatment options for sleep apnea.
1. Lifestyle Changes: For a mild case of sleep apnea, your dentist may recommend lifestyle changes, such as avoiding tobacco, quitting alcohol, and losing weight. Even a small amount of weight loss may improve your symptoms. Sleeping in an upright position may improve oxygen levels in overweight patients with sleep apnea.
2. Oxygen Therapy : Oxygen therapy is the use of oxygen as a form of treatment for acute and chronic conditions. Oxygen therapy has been used as an alternative treatment in people with sleep apnea. Various forms of oxygen and different devices are available to deliver oxygen to the patients’ lungs while they sleep.
3. CPAP Device: The Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) device is considered the gold standard treatment for sleep apnea. The CPAP device includes a mask that patients wear over their nose every night. CPAP applies air pressure on a continuous basis to keep the airways open.
4. EPAP Device: Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure (EPAP) is a a treatment for sleep apnea and snoring. The EPAP device is placed over the patients’ nostrils before they go to sleep. The device is a valve that allows air to move in, but when the patient exhales, air goes through small holes in the valve. This increases pressure in the airway passages and keeps it open.
5. Surgery: A variety of surgical options are available for the treatment of sleep apnea and snoring. Surgery is usually only an option after non-surgical treatments have failed. The purpose of surgery is to enlarge the airway through your nose or throat that may be blocking the airway passages and causing sleep apnea.
Be the first to like.